Victoria Stratman, General Counsel
Victoria D. Stratman has been the General Counsel for the California Institute of Technology since 2009. As General Counsel, Ms. Stratman's key duties include:
- Managing the Office of the General Counsel which is responsible for providing legal advice and representation to Caltech, including the Jet Propulsion Laboratory ("JPL"), either in-house or through outside counsel, or a combination of the two including oversight of all legal proceedings to which the Institute may become a party;
- Providing advice and counsel to Institute Officers, senior management and the Board of Trustees with respect to matters concerning the Institute;
- Serving as legal advisor to the senior management of the Campus and JPL in connection with, and participating in, the negotiation and administration of the JPL prime contract with NASA including developing and sustaining a positive and mutually beneficial working relationship with NASA counterparts;
- Acting as resident, day-to-day liaison between administrative functions at JPL and Caltech, particularly in the areas of business, finance, and contracting, and providing a Caltech overview of JPL activity in these areas;
- Supporting the Institute's various academic and administrative functions by reviewing proposed policies and processes to assure they comply fully with applicable laws and regulations and offering recommendations for change and/or clarification that support the initiative's intent;
- Providing advice on patents, licensing, technology utilization, and other intellectual property matters;
- Interacting with key donors, and their representatives, as needed;
- Serving as a standing attendee at meetings of the following Board Committees: Executive, Audit and Compliance, Business and Finance, Nominating, Technology Transfer and JPL;
- Directly administering the Conflict of Interest Policy for Trustees and Officers and serves as key staff support for the Audit and Compliance Transaction Review Subcommittee;
- Acting as co-counsel to the California Association for Research in Astronomy, (responsible for operating the W.M. Keck Observatory), and the TMT Corporation (responsible for the design, construction and operation of the Thirty Meter Telescope), both of which are collaborations with the University of California and other entities.
Ms. Stratman was born in St. Louis, Missouri and attended the University of Missouri, Columbia where she received her degree in Zoology. She graduated with high distinction from the University of Iowa College of Law where she was a member of the Law Review, Moot Court Board and Order of the Coif. Prior to joining Caltech, Ms. Stratman was a partner in the Los Angeles office of O'Melveny & Myers.
Ms. Stratman is a member of the California Bar and is admitted to practice in the Ninth, Seventh and Tenth Circuits, and the United States Supreme Court. She is a member of the National Association of College and University Attorneys and the American Association of Corporate Counsel. In 2012, Ms. Stratman received Corporate Counsel’s Award for Outstanding Non-Profit General Counsel.
California Institute of Technology
1200 E. California Blvd. MC 108-31
Pasadena, CA 91125
(626) 796-4282 fax